Monday, April 19, 2010

Superman & Bizarro painting

Years ago, I inked a Bernie Wrightson Batman vs. Solomon Grundy 22-page story for DC. Bernie had already done a cover painting and there was some talk of doing another story to go with it and publishing them as a flip book, You know, the kind with two stories and two covers, both starting at opposite ends so that depending on which side of the book you begin with, you're reading a different story. Then when you finish the first story, you flip it over and start reading the other story from the opposite end. I always wondered if retailers liked them because they could display two copies -- side-by-side -- one with the A-side showing and one with the B-side. If a customer grabbed them quickly enough, he might think that he was getting two different comics instead of two copies of the same book. Anyway, Bernie didn't have time to do the second 22-page story but I was up for it. Various ideas were tossed around... maybe Superman and Bizarro? Hmmmm... that seemed to have some nice symmetry...
I got inspired and did this pen and ink piece, totally on spec, thinking the drawing would be fun to do, even if it was rejected by DC. Later, a DC editor said we absolutely could not use Bizarro in our story so it all just died right there. But I liked the drawing anyway. Nick Morgan, the fellow who bought it from me, suggested that I do a painted version, which I was finally able to pull together a couple of years ago.  I like the piece in black and white, but this it really seemed to benefit from color so I'm grateful to Nick for giving me the chance to do it up right. The painting is acrylic on gessoed masonite, roughly 13" x 17".



12 comments:

  1. Now that's a cool looking Superman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I read that right? Is that Mr Nowlan thanking me? No Way! Thank you Kevin for creating such a stunning piece. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! this piece is superb. I love your work.
    Tomás.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a second... DC rejected a project by you AND Wrightson? I've read about the Batman/Solomon Grundy project not getting green lit... but why was Bizarro so off limits? Why not have it be an out-of-continuity story (so as to not interfere with any writer's plans or any editorial crossover usage)? Me not want good comics!

    Love your Bizarro. Those fingers are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Supes: "Finally beat'n your a$$ eh?"
    Bizarro: "Oh crap, he found me!"

    LOL

    Hugo S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now THAT is one I never knew! Great piece, Kevin. Makes me even more disappointed we didn't get to do the Superman half. Though I might have some "new news" on the Bats/Grundy job soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like great news if DC prints the Wrightson story you inked! Love to see the rest of that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the rumors are true but I'll believe it when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful piece Kevin. Very bright colors for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DC needs to make a whole series called "cool stuff we don't want to print but everyone wants to see". Makes ya want to smack someone...
    I'd love to see more paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful painting. Just got my Hulk sketch in the mail (your ebay auction) and it's gorgeous. Can't wait to have it framed and hung on the wall. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete