Saturday, April 24, 2010

Superman 613 cover

I started out thinking that this one would be fun:  The idea was to show Funky Flashman hawking a bunch of Superman merchandise. Funky first appeared in Jack Kirby's Mister Miracle series and was allegedly inspired by Stan Lee. I sent in this rough sketch and had the following conversation with the editor: "We'd like Funky to look less like Stan."  "But isn't he SUPPOSED to look like Stan!?" "Yeah, but we LIKE Stan now so we don't want to make him mad." So I dug out my copy of Mister Miracle #6 and did my best to draw Funky as Kirby drew him, sans sunglasses, with the 1970's hairpiece and beard.





5 comments:

  1. I've always loved this cover!
    I never knew that was originally Stan Lee. The first sketch looks just like him! You did a great job un-Stan-izing him. Thanks for showing the various stages, always fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr. Kevin Nowlan,

    Do you still have this original sketch?
    I would love to have it on my Superman collection.

    Regards,

    Fabio.
    www.super-homem.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fabio,

    No, I'm sure I don't have that sketch anymore. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin,

      Thanks for the quick reply!
      If you find in coming years, please remember me.

      By the way, I love your work on Superman vs Aliens!!!

      Yours faithfully,

      Fabio Marques.
      www.super-homem.com

      Delete