Saturday, June 20, 2009

Grimwood's Daughter: the last page




Jan Strnad's script asked for a small inset of Tirol and Brii in the land of the Frost Giants, framed with a garland of ivy. I sketched it several different ways, two of which I'm showing here. But neither of us were satisfied with the layout and Jan thought the garland looked too much like a Christmas decoration so he suggested dropping the inset panel all together.

It made for a rather stark final page but it fit the mood of the story.

Fast forward 26 years...

We're trying to pull together all the art for a new Grimwood Collection, but no one can locate copies of the last few pages. I decide to redraw them and look forward to taking a second crack at a few details that always bugged me about the earlier versions. Most of them are just little inking problems but this final page cried out for a larger revision, in keeping with Jan's original script. I discussed it with our editor, Scott D├╝nbier and he agreed, if we're going to go to the trouble of redrawing that last page, why not get it right this time.

So I dropped the garland and made the inset much larger. I'm really happy with the results... finally.

I'll post a scan of the inks as soon as I finish them. Maybe even later today.

2 comments:

  1. It's uncanny how you can adjust your style to the one of 26 years ago, even though it's always been pure "Nowlan". It's not a jarring shift at all.

    Can't wait to see the inks... and the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll see... I can't promise it'll be an exact match, but then again, I couldn't seem to maintain a consistent style from chapter to chapter or even panel to panel when I drew this in the early 80's.

    The inks are coming along nicely. I'll post them soon.

    ReplyDelete