Monday, August 3, 2009

Defenders 128: A second shot at the cover art



I always liked the lighting and layout for this one (editor Carl Potts did the sketch) but hated the way I inked it. At the time, I was fumbling around, looking for a "style". I even tried imitating the loose pen and ink approach of an Iowa artist named Gary Kelley.

So I was very happy a couple of years ago when I was asked to recreate the piece for a collector. If nothing else, it shows that I've learned to ink a little better in the intervening years.


6 comments:

  1. Good background and very attractive blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I much prefer the loose, lively way the original was inked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet to see an updated version of this, amazing line work in the faces as always. Definitely a new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What can i say...¡you are a Master! I can´t imagine any critics to this particular piece. It blows my poor helpless mind. thanks for the good art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this cover. It was probably the first comic I bought because of the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm confused by the comment "....editor Carl Potts did the sketch".

    My understanding was that the original was exclusively Kevin Nowlan art. Everywhere I see this cover mentioned it always lists only your name???

    ReplyDelete