Monday, November 23, 2009

A cover design fix


This was for a collection of Drew Friedman strips in 1985. I don't know who did the first design, but the publisher thought it was weak and asked me to rework it.  The drawings were beautiful but the typography and composition was lame.  I put together a sketch with a symmetrical approach, something I usually avoid, but this time it worked.  The final image is the printed cover.  Someone else did the final typography and changed the logo and made a few more little alterations but it works.  And who can argue with a giant Shemp head?






4 comments:

  1. Well, they didn't monkey with your basic design much but frankly I wish they didn't change it at all. I prefer the "P" and "S" extending upward with the "Any Similarity To" nestled between them. It's better integrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Hiroshi, but I think I was happy that I was able to just do the layout and someone else had to finish it up and work out all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the image you suggested as the center photo/drawing would have been more humorous as well.

    And neat lettering changes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Shemp. How could you not love that big face?

    ReplyDelete