Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Wildstorm swimsuit calendar art

I don't even remember this character's name and I'm too tired to look it up.  I think she was in WildCATS, but you guys don't really care about those details, do you?  All I remember is that this was for a calendar in the late '90's and even though I did a really tight color guide (shown below) and specifically asked the separator to leave the swimsuit white, he or she put a 10% black screen over it.  Why do they do stuff like that?  By the way, I only drew two flamingos.  The rest are clones.




7 comments:

  1. "Why do they do stuff like that?" Because they are idiots! Well perhaps that's a bit harsh, but there is a big difference between freelancers - who get paid for the work they do - and a staffers - who pick up a cheque at the end of the month. I'm guessing that a staffer applied the screen! Cheers Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it could be argued that he was 90% right, because he only made the suit 10% black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But man, having the brighter white would have helped pop the figure a ton more, especially against the pink flamingos.

    >>>I think she was in WildCATS, but you guys don't really care about those details, do you?<<<

    That comment just made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the goggles indicate that she's Savant.

    Not that anyone cares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it's all coming back to me know... I was going to guess "Goggle Girl" but it just didn't sound right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. why did they add the screen?

    because, once again, they hire artists who know what they're doing and then proceed to think they know better. Hire a roofer and then stand next to him and tell him how to do his job. Do you know how to roof? Then why did you hire a professional? (if you do know how to roof then this analogy isn't going to work).

    only in the arts. "I hire you because i like your work. Now do it my way."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know why they added the black tint, but sometimes I think colorists forget to use white as a color. I used it like crazy back in the old newsprint days.

    ReplyDelete