Saturday, March 27, 2010

A sad day...

I just received word that Dick Giordano passed away. In the late 60's he started working at DC as an editor and brought a lot of new blood, new energy and new aesthetics to a stale, old publishing house. He redefined and elevated the role of "inker" in comics through the '70's and became an extremely popular Managing Editor at DC in the '80's. 

I had a blast sitting next to him at a small Florida convention a couple of years ago and talking about pen points and inking technique.  It was worth the long flight down there just for those few minutes.  When he spoke to you, Dick always made you feel like you were the most important person in the world at that moment.  

We're really going to miss him.

4 comments:

  1. Really going to miss him. RIP, Dick...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sad news, Kevin! Mr. Giordano was a fine artist, an innovative editor and obviously well-loved. My codolences to his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very bad news indeed. When I heard about it in the GCD mail list I just didn't want to believe it. Too bad to be true. But it was.

    My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very saddened by the news. He has been one of the most influential person in the industry, and one of the first names I learned to recognize in comic book credits when I was 7 or 8.

    ReplyDelete