Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Wolverine #12 cover art

By special request from Alfredo, here's the cover for Wolverine #12.  Sorry I couldn't locate the sketch, but if I remember correctly, it was pretty weak.  I worked out the bugs when I did the final pencils and this ended up being one of my favorites in the series.


Two notes about the car:  I tried to find photo reference for the decal on the door, but came up empty.  And I wasn't thinking when I drew those tires; cop cars don't have white walls!  





Color really helped this one.  I wasn't happy with the coloring on the cover for issue 11 so they let me do my own guides for the rest of the series.
Update:  Thanks to Shabby Walters for finding the sketch on line and sending me the link.  Moving his left arm down makes it a little more clear that he's escaping from the car instead of just joy riding.  And you can see that I didn't even think about the light source when I did the sketch.  I'm guessing it was done quickly to get approval so I could move on to the pencils.  This was done back in the days before fax machines, let alone the internet so we'd have at least a 24 hour delay waiting for a FedEx package to arrive.  I don't miss those days.

4 comments:

  1. Here's a rough sketch of this cover: http://flickr.com/photos/nowlan/174333008/in/set-72157594176509036

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this was my favorite and IMO the best Wolverine cover. I like the final shading on his face/torso. Makes it more dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very very much! And so fast!
    Beautiful shadows, dynamic and really dramatic.
    Great cover, you are the master of shadow!

    ReplyDelete