Monday, September 21, 2009

Man-Bat page 19

Script, rough sketches, pencils and inks.  This is the final page from the Man-Bat story in Secret Origins #39, April 1989. The editor, Mark Waid, didn't like the idea of Batman just walking through a door in his kitchen to access the Bat Cave so I took out the door knob in panel three.  I guess the thought was that he had to go down a hallway or maybe another door before entering the cave. I inked the line work and the shadows as two separate steps in the final panel.


Jan Strnad's script called for a milk mustache on Bruce but DC strongly objected.  That's why you see him wiping his mouth in the second panel of the layout. I've heard that Bruce Timm has a rule against showing Batman like this, mostly still in costume, but with his cowl down.  It surprised me when I first heard about it but it makes sense now.  It takes away from his mystique.  Bruce Wayne's, not Bruce Timm's.  Nothing could diminish Bruce Timm's mystique.

















6 comments:

  1. It’s fantastic to see the light and shadows process!!!
    Thanks Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, I love me the Nowlan Man-Bat. Really, besides your Hellboy, number one on my favorite things to see you draw. He just looks...right.

    But as far as the images shown above, yeah, I love the progression of the shading. Even the second to last image is grand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so great, one of my favorites from you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it , nice to see the evolution too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would very much love to see more of your script to finish. it always gives me a better idea of what to focus on, and to create interest when i draw a page.
    thanks Mr. Nowlan

    peace out

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite panel is when batman confronts the bad guys in grey/black shaded tight suit. Those bad guys are so stylized and the grey/black made my day.

    ReplyDelete