Thursday, October 29, 2009

What the internet & cable TV hath wrot

(Spoiler Alert:  If you've never seen the movie Fight Club, don't read any further.  It's ridiculous to say that about a movie that's ten years old, but you know how people are.)


This morning, my son asked me if I'd heard the theory that Ferris Bueller and Cameron are the same person, ala Fight Club.  I hadn't, but he told me more about it and I'll be darned if it didn't make at least a little bit of sense.  A few hours later I stumble across a similar theory about What About Bob? I doubt that either movie was originally written with that in mind, but like the Wizard of OZ/Dark Side of the Moon phenomenon, if you put in a little effort you can make them fit.




3 comments:

  1. My mind went boom when I read this, but after looking it up, the theory that Cameron is only just in bed imagining it it all (rather than full on Tyler Durdening it) could be applied to any film. Star Wars could just be the short circuit fever dream of R2D2.
    But the initial idea is very cool. Surely some screenwriter is going to mash this together to make a proper teen comedy version of Fight Club.
    This might be a contender www.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/youthinrevolt/

    PS. love the art. The sketches are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jon. You're right, if you want to stretch a point, you could make it fit almost any movie but it's interesting to see how many pieces fit when you consider the two movies I listed. For instance, the daughter in "What About Bob" mentions her friend "George Stark". Stephen King wrote a story about a writer who's pseudonym (also named "George Stark") comes to life. Probably a coincidence, but still funny. Or Bob's poem: "Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic... and so am I."

    ReplyDelete